Baltimore International Academy
Baltimore City Public School Sytem
Opened in August 2007
John Enkiri, Principal
Elena Lokounia, Assistant PrincipalGrades K-8, 545 students
About Baltimore International Academy (BIA)
Baltimore International Academy opened in August 2007 and made adequate yearly progress in its first year of operation. It is the first language immersion school in Baltimore City. BIA is authorized for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme and working towards authorization for Middle Years Programme. Students at BIA participate in National foreign language contests.
Program Philosophy and Model
- Baltimore International Academy is a language immersion school.
- Linguistic experts developed a comprehensive K-8 language curriculum that builds oral and written language fluency as well as cultural insight.
- Core subjects are taught through Chinese, Russian French, or Spanish.
- Staff believe that enriching curriculum with a foreign language emphasis will improve the academic performance of students.
- BIA’s mission is to ensure that all students acquire knowledge and skills through speaking, reading, and writing in target languages.
- Student progress is continuously monitored with adjustments to instructional programs as appropriate.
- Parent and community involvement is cultivated and encouraged.
Student Support Services
- English as a Second Language programs
- Afterschool and enrichment programs
- Computer labs
- Homework clubs
- Language immersion summer enrichment camp
- Extended learning opportunities
- Rosetta Stone program
- First in Math
- Study Island
- Russia House in Washington, DC
- The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
- Howard County Community College China Program
- The American Council of Teachers of Russian
• Russian Club and Program at University of Maryland
• Chinese Language Teachers Association
• American Association of the Teachers of French
• Alliance Française de Baltimore
• The Mexican Cultural Center
• Baltimore Museum of Art
• Bethel World Outreach Ministries
• Johns Hopkins University
• Morgan State University
• Coppin State University
• University of Maryland at College Park
|Charter School Office
|Maryland State Department of Education
|200 West Baltimore Street