Prepare for PARCC (Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers)
Maryland begins full implementation of the new Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) state assessments in reading and mathematics this school year (2014-15). The new assessments replace the Maryland School Assessments in English and mathematics in grades 3-8, and replace the High School Assessments in Algebra I and English 10.
The new PARCC assessments are aligned to the Maryland College and Career-Ready Standards, developed from the Common Core and fully implemented during the 2013-14 school year. PARCC will provide comparability across states, and be able to assess and measure higher-order skills such as critical thinking, communications, and problem solving. The assessments will be computer-based and include a mix of constructed response items, performance-based tasks, and computer-enhanced items. Paper-pencil PARCC state assessments will be available for at least three years during the transition to online testing, and will be available for special needs beyond the transition.
PARCC is an advanced assessment that will assist educators in the classroom by providing instructional tools to support implementation of the new standards and assessments, student achievement data, professional development modules, and educator-led training to support "peer-to-peer" training. K-12 educators across the consortium of PARCC states have been involved throughout the development of the PARCC assessments and related instructional and reporting tools to help ensure the assessment system provides the information and resources educators need most.
Maryland is a Governing State in the PARCC consortium and has worked with more than a dozen other states to develop these next generation assessments.
Henry R. Johnson, Ed.D., Assistant Superintendent
Division of Curriculum, Assessment, and Accountability
Maryland State Department of Education
200 West Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Prepare for PARCC
- New!: Webinar: Watch Anytime: PARCC Webinar for Parents
- New! What Are Standards, Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessments? [GRAPHIC]
- PARCC FAQs
- PARCC Press Release
- PARCC Press Release - Spanish
- PARCC Implementation Timeline
- PARCC Implementation Timeline - Spanish
- Top Ten on Testing
- Top Ten on Testing-Spanish
- Top Five on High School Testing
- Top Five on High School Testing - Spanish
- Maryland Resources for Teachers and Students
PARCC Tutorials & Practice Tests
- Try the PARCC Tutorials
- Take the Practice Tests
- School Technology Directors Confirm PARCC Technical Readiness
- PARCC Accessibility Features and Accommodations Manual
- About Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC)