Experienced Professional

I​f you have not already done so, create a portal account​Documents received prior to the creation of a portal account will be discarded.

If you hold an active professional ​certificate from another state and have three years of satisfactory full time teaching experience (within the past 7 years) in the subject area on your certificate, please submit the following:
  • Official transcript(s), which must show the degree and date of conferral, if applicable. Student copies in an unopened mailer are also acceptable​.
  • A photocopy of your active out of state professional certificate
  • Original Verification of Experience form(s).  Form must indicate satisfactory experience as well as subjects and grades taught.​
  • An initial application for certification
  • A cover letter with your name, mailing address, last 4 digits of your social security number, date of birth, personal email address, and the area of certification you are seeking.  

Mail your complete packet to the following address:
                Maryland State Department of Education
                  Certification Branch
                  200 W. Baltimore Street
                  Baltimore, MD 21201

Document may be sent electronically to certdocuments.msde@maryland.gov
Transcripts must come to this address directly from the Institute of Higher Education or an e-transcript service.  Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted.

The Certification Branch will determine your eligibility​ and notify you via email.  Please do not submit a payment with your application packet.