​How do I reinstate my expired Maryland Professional Certificate?

  1. Present 6 semester hours of acceptable credit*

    *​Acceptable credit is credit that is:

    • Earned or taught at a regionally accredited college/university or through Maryland approved Continuing Professional Development (CPD) credits​; and
    • Related to a school assignment; and
    • Earned within 5 years immediately preceding the date the certificate is issued​​; and
    • Earned in required reading course work if not already completed (teaching areas only).
Educators who hold a license from another Maryland agency or national organization, or a professional educator certification from another state, may submit the credits used to renew that credential, along with a copy of said credential, toward the reinstatement of their Maryland Educator Certificate.  Required reading coursework must be earned at a regionally accredited college/university or through Maryland approved CPDs. 

2. Present a valid professional certificate issued by a member state and verification of 3 years of satisfactory experience within the last 7 years

To request reinstatement of your certificate, please submit the following:

  • A cover letter with your name, mailing address, last 4 digits of your social security number, date of birth and personal email address.
  • Official transcript(s) in an unopened mailer or MSDE Continuing Professional Development (CPD) credits earned within the past five (5) years (Option 1).
  • A copy of your active professional certificate and verification​ of 3 years of satisfactory​ experience within the last 7 years (Option 2​).​
  • Please do not submit a payment with your reinstatement request. The Certification Branch will notify you when it is time to make a payment.

Documents may be mailed to:

Maryland State Department of Education
Certification Branch
200 W. Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201

Document may be sent electronically to
(Transcripts must come to this address directly from the Institute of Higher Education or an e-transcript service. Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted.​​)

MD Historical Certificate Areas

A certificate area that is no longer issued may not be reinstated.

Reinstatement requirements are outlined in:

COMAR 13A.12.01.12

​Attention School Counselors:

School/Guidance counselors who wish to reinstate a certificate effective July 1, 2021, must present 6 acceptable credits, which shall include:

  • One semester hour of coursework; or
  • One CPD; or
  • An equivalent number of CEUs that addresses the following:
    1. The need for intervention or referral in response to indicators of mental illness and behavioral distress, including, but not limited to:
      • Depression;
      • Trauma;
      • Violence;
      • Youth Suicide; and
      • Substance Abuse.
    2. The identification of professional resources and best practices for distributing resources to parents or guardians to help students in crisis.

Visit our School Counselor Renewal Requirements page for further information