There are multiple routes to initial teacher certification in Maryland:
- Complete a Maryland-approved educator preparation program (traditional or alternative) and Maryland certification assessments.
- Complete an educator preparation program at a regionally accredited institution leading to certification in that state, and submit one of the following options:
Present a valid professional certificate and verification of 27 months of satisfactory experience in the past 7 years in an area of certification comparable to a Maryland teaching certificate.
- Maryland certification assessments;
- The active professional certificate earned from the out-of-state program along with the assessments taken to achieve the certificate; or
- The active or expired professional certificate earned from the out-of-state program and verification of two years of satisfactory experience
Present a National Board Certificate from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards in an area of certification comparable to a Maryland teaching certificate.
Present verification of satisfactory completion of the coursework and experience requirements of a specific area under
Code of Maryland Regulations 13A.12.02 and Maryland certification assessments. (Note- middle school areas may not be earned via this route)
Applicants who present the following are eligible for a Montessori teaching certificate:
- Bachelor's degree
- Holds a valid credential from one of the following:
- Submits a passing score on the Praxis 5205 Teaching Reading: Elementary assessment
Please note that this certificate may only be used to teach students in a public school that uses Montessori instruction as the primary mode of instruction, or a Montessori private school that is approved by the MSDE.
In Maryland, each specialist area has individual qualifications. Please click on the area below to view the requirements of initial certification.
In Maryland, each administrator and supervisor area has individual qualifications. Please click on the area below to view the requirements of initial certification.